Friday, October 23, 2009

Giant Dwarf vs. Bubbles & Scott Baio

Day 3: Guess who I found in my closet?! Do you remember Rex Smith? Greg Evigan? Robby Benson? Scott Baio? How about Dirk Benedict?


Do you know how much Farrah Fawcett's famous swimsuit poster cost in 1978? It cost three bucks (and that included shipping and handling). Did you know that Willie Aames' favorite Christmas song is "Silent Night?" That Erik Estrada was hoping to find "good luck charms for his necklace" in his Christmas stocking? Do you remember when Linda Ronstadt was dating California Governor Jerry Brown?


Yeah, cool huh? I found a bunch of old Tiger Beat and Teen Beat magazines from 1978 and 1979. A few comic books, too, including a first edition of Logan's Run. I also found a journal I kept in 1992, a children's book that I not only wrote, but also illustrated and bound, back in 1978. I found a paper I wrote on the homeless problem in Arizona from 1985. And I found all of my college papers and blue books.


And as you may have already guessed, I'm not getting rid of these.


But I did manage to purge a few things today. My living room looks like a thrift shop exploded in here. The kitchen was easy. The paper monster is only as scary as I let it be. But the closets? The closets possess the mysteries of a long-extinct civilization.


I managed to 86 an old bathrobe, about two boxes of clothes, a box of shoes (is anyone out there a size 5?), finger paints, a mini-cassette recorder, a TV antenna (guess we don't need those anymore), and jewelry. Jewelry is tough to go through, since I have no idea what the value might be. However, I know full well that if I purchased the bauble myself, it has no value. So there's a bunch of Claire's jewelry ready for donation.


In the process of doing this, I found a light blue, fake fur PowerPuff Girls jewelry box. I've had it for years (I had a PowerPuff Girls obsession back in 2000) but I had no idea what was in it. Opening the lid, the first thing I see is Bubbles, popping up a la the old little girls' jewelry boxes' ballerinas. She doesn't dance, but she's on a spring, so she kind of wiggles. There's a mirror behind her, which is completely useless unless I want to see what the back of Bubbles looks like.


And what is in this classy little jewelry box? Oh, what any girl would have in there. A gold heart, a crystal from Sedona, a package of bindis, a pair of Thumb-Ease massagers, sexy dice which instruct you on what to do and where to do it, and a penis pacifier. Yes, you read that right. A penis pacifier. That's what I've been storing in there all these years.


So, sometime I'll have to tell you about my old job selling sex toys at house parties. Good times.


I'm keeping the Bubbles Box too.

No comments:

Post a Comment